- What would you do if you had for the girl child if you were given half a school and no teachers back in your home country? (If a contestant was asked this at the Universe pageant?).
- Who has been your role model while growing up? (Does everyone have one or is it necessary to have one?).
- Who would you be stranded with on an island for 10 days, an island no one knows of or has heard of and you are well and truly ‘Lost’? (Like the ‘who’ is more important than survival right?).
- What is your ritual before you go out to speak in front of a large audience? (Imagine this being asked of our Prime Minister!).
- Given a choice, would you be born as Shakira, Hillary Clinton, Monica Lewinsky or Justin Bieber? (Get a life!).
:). When you pause and think about some of the questions that get asked of celebrities or people by others in the media or by people, you realise these are tough questions to crack. I mean, be honest, don’t you start thinking of Your answers to these questions when you read or hear about them? Don’t you visualise yourself being out there in the public eye and answering these questions? Come on, it’s natural, it’s a human reflexive action. I know I do. And I haven’t ever been able to come up with clever answers and if I have, then that has been after some deliberate effort and time. So hats off to those who manage to be quick on the uptake and clever and smart and aware.
Right! Smiling are we? Ruminating over your brew of choice? Hmmm…! I’ve been watching a whole lot of great Internet TV shows, by Chase Jarvis, Marie Forleo and a few others, I am struck by some of the questions that get asked and answered by thought leaders, entrepreneurs and brilliant people essentially doing their own S#%t as they say nowadays. Take out a diary, notepad, piece of paper and a writing implement and actually do this with me. I am sure of one thing: not many of you’d have done this. Get ready to expect the unexpected. Ready?
The Must-List of Questions that ideally every single human being should, at any given point in time, ask themselves.
- What moves you? I mean really moves you? Seeing a dog crushed under the wheels of a car, a romantic movie when the woman runs to her man and is hugged by her man like his life depended on it, 2 children holding hands going to school, an old man being shepherded by a young teenager across the street, song, dance, art in any form, your family, Mother Earth? Yes, what moves you, makes your eyes mist over, or skip a beat or feel a rush of emotion come hurtling through the bottom of your feet to the top of your crown. What gives!
- If the word “Fear” was erased from your vocabulary, if the “feeling of fear” was obliterated from the repository of human emotions, what would you do now with your life?
- Growing up, did you ever visualise your life, like a movie, with a beginning, middle and end? Every credit, every song, every frame clearly etched? No? Why not?
- If yes to the above, what happened to the movie? Did it bomb at the BO of your own life? You mean your own movie was worthless even for you where you were the producer, director, actor, screenplay writer, songstress, composer, special effects genius etc.?
- Do you ever make promises to yourself about the life you want to lead? You do? And what happens to those promises? Ahem…better not talk about it is it?
- Is envy a part of your current makeup? Envy at your best friend seemingly living the life you dreamed about? Or at that peer, or school mate or colleague who is doing ‘well’?
- Wait a minute, have you ever stopped to define the meaning of ‘doing well’ and ‘success’ for yourself? Sorry, you’re not allowed to look it up in Merriam-Webster. Your definition is what I want to hear.
- What does freedom mean to you?
- Give me an example of ‘taking a risk in life’. Remember there are no right or wrong answers, just your answers :).
- Now here are some rapid fire ones:
- Do you believe that ‘friendships for life’ can also chafe at the bit and can become rancid?
- Do you think that all parents are the best and always have their children’s best interests at heart?
- When was the last time you had a ‘goal in life and goal of life’ and have actually achieved the same?
- What is the meaning of ‘comfort zone’ and have you ever defined it, understood it and leapt out of it? Share your experience of the same please, I’d be delighted.
- Do you still believe that your life here is ‘forever’ and you have ‘forever time’ to live the ‘life of your dreams’?
- You’d rather believe your ‘screaming gut’ or family, friends and sundry others when it comes to doing something you ‘believe in’ but are hesitant because you are afraid of: rejection, failure, being seen as a fool, success, happiness, grief, pain, death, joy, being alone,bankruptcy?
- On a scale of 1 – 5 where 5 is the highest, how would you rate the importance of money in your life? Please be honest at least with and to yourself.
- Have you ever wondered (yes back to the mainstream, the rapid fire was just to keep your interest alive), about ‘luck’ and its importance in the lives of people who are insanely successful?
- When people are critical of your behaviour or decisions or even about what you’ve worn or how loud your voice is, or the way you walk or the way you slurp on the tea, what do you feel about those making those judgements? Do you shrug and have a sang froid attitude, smile or do you actually want to shove something up their arse?
- What gives you a buzz? Nope, I don’t mean a Black Russian cocktail or whatever else your poison may be, no, not that. I mean what gives you that feeling of such intense joy, that it’s actually indescribable?
- Great you identified the above. What are you doing about it? Why you sitting here describing it?
I think this is a decent bunch of queries to get you started off now, so will somehow restrain myself from going overboard. And you know what? While you reflect on these questions as I will too, remember just one thing that I keep waking up to –
Go on then. Shrug, turn over (like a lover with a headache or a grouse) and continue to exist. However remember, life is about living, existence is a given.
And yes, please share some of your questions that you have had occasion to ponder about. It’d be lovely to hear from you.